Health Insight Inc.
Susan Shanks, Owner and President
- B.A., B.HEc., Registered Dietitian (R.D.)
- Client Relations/Customer Service
- Conflict Resolution/Mediation
- Personal Coach
- Advanced ThetaHealer
- Reiki Practitioner
- Intuitive Reader
- Workshop and Motivational Speaker
Empower individuals through teaching the body-mind-spirit wellness connection.
- To help individuals be the most peaceful and healthiest version of who they can be.
- To provide individualized approaches to well-being and health.
- To encourage individuals to be active participants responsible for their own thinking, attitudes, health behaviours and outcomes.
- Fostering trust and hope.
- Being authentically present in the moment with the client.
- Establishing a helping and trusting human care relationship.
- Preserving the integrity of the person; being non-judgmental.
- The lived experience of the client.
- The unique contribution of the individual’s body-mind-emotions-spirit in well-being, health and healing.
Susan, the person
Susan’s academic background, skills and personal interests are diverse. Her formal training and education includes clinical and administrative dietetics, health and wellness, customer service, conflict resolution and mediation, and healthcare ethics. She has been a student in alternative healing philosophies, Reiki, ThetaHealing and the ancient art of tarot reading. Over the years, she has been a speaker at professional conferences, a lecturer and presenter at a variety of events, and has taught numerous courses and workshops on a wide range of topics.
Susan has been called, Today’s Dietitian, whose nutrition/lifestyle counseling and coaching practice focuses on the broader aspects of nourishing all aspects of the person, body-mind-emotions-spirit. Susan believes that everyone is unique and has different strengths, needs and goals.
As a lifelong learner, Susan participates in a wide range of professional development activities each year. Whether it’s staying up-to-date with current and developing research in the field of nutrition, health and psychology; techniques for assessment and care plan development; and coaching and counseling strategies, Susan is eager to blend the old with the new to meet the goals of her clients.
Susan is best described as compassionate, caring and respectful of each client’s personal journey. She uses a person-centered, integrative holistic approach with each client. Together, Susan and client complete an assessment and determine conclusions about the client strengths, needs, goals and priorities. Then, they create and implement a plan to address priorities contributing to meet client knowledge, health and/or wellness goals.
When a linear, cause-and-effect approach to problem-solving does not work, Susan uses a creative process that allows interaction of multiple factors, and requires not only scientific knowledge but also personal or intuitive, aesthetic, and ethical knowledge.
Susan’s whole process is reflective in nature. As such, Susan and client together evaluate the effectiveness of the plan in relation to the assessment, care process and caring relationship and make adjustments as needed.
Susan is a born teacher and has the ability to explain complex principles in ways that are easy for all to understand and to be inspired by. She understands that change can be difficult and frightening. But, with faith and hope, and with a helping and trusting human care relationship, anything is possible.